Follow by Email

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Who is Dr. Denmark?

I recently ordered this book titled Dr. Denmark said it!  written by Madia L. Bowman.  Dr. Denmark was a pediatrician for over 75 years  and lived until she was 114.  She just passed away not too long ago.  You know the neat thing about her practice?  She began charging $4 for an appointment and only went up to $10 (this was in the 2000's), so you know she wasn't doing it for the money.  She received a lot of rewards and accomplished a lot, but one of the main things was that she created the  immunization for whooping cough, which has saved thousands of lives.  I was reading her book to learn about the schedule she recommends, but I came across something that I found very encouraging.  Chapter 10 talks about the mother's presence and/or being a stay-at-home mom.  She talks about the "attitude" of mothers (the author wrote this book on behalf of Dr. Denmark's ideas and principles, so she quotes Dr. Denmark a lot throughout the book). Dr. Denmark said:

A woman who would rather be doing something else will have a difficult time being a good mother.  Subconsciously, she'll resent her children because they prevent her from being a lawyer or a doctor or having a big career.  I knew a great tennis player who put her baby in day care.  If she felt tied down at home when she wanted to be on the court, do you think she would be good to her child? "You children are depriving me of my game today."  That the attitude many children are living under.


I think this section caught me off guard because I wasn't expecting it.  By no means, do I think you need to be a stay-at-home mom, I have actually considered working part time and even teaching full time once my children are in school.  I just want to make sure I have the right attitude while being home.  I don't want James to ever feel like he got in the way of my career.  Are there days that I will  have a bad attitude?  Of course, I'm not perfect.  I had those days even when I was working.  This is just a good reminder to check your attitude.  As Charles Swindoll says, "Life is 10% what happens to me, and 90% of how I react to it."