Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Reflecting on Resurrection Sunday 4.20.14

As I reflect on Easter and/or resurrection Sunday, I am reminded of the new life believers have in Christ.  As I get older, the more I realize that.  As a child, I was taught I was a sinner and that Jesus died on the cross to pay the penalty for sin, but Christ being resurrected from the dead was not emphasized as much as those things.  I remember a professor in college speaking on this.  He said, "People tend to focus on the cross and the punishment Christ paid for us, but if Christ was not resurrected from the dead, then he would have died in vain.  The whole chapter of 1 Corinthians 15 focuses on the resurrection and how we would still be dead to our sin if Christ was not resurrected."  Don't ask me how I remember him saying that, that was over 6 years ago!  I guess it hit me hard that I failed to remember the new life I have in Christ & that I am no longer a slave to sin.   What a great reminder!

1 Corinthians 6:14-21 And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith. More than that, we are then found to be false witnesses about God, for we have testified about God that he raised Christ from the dead. But he did not raise him if in fact the dead are not raised.  For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised either.  And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins.  Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost.  If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep.  For since death came through a man, the resurrection of the dead comes also through a man. 

This should have been written yesterday, but my dad was in town and I was a little preoccupied with that.  Here is a picture of James Tyler Wood with his two grandfathers that he is named after (Jordan's dad-James Michael Wood & my dad-Tyler Christopher Angle).  James looks pretty happy to be with them :)

Gosh, I love my dad.  The older I get, the more I appreciate my parents.  I remember growing up, I loved spending time with my dad, but also got a little upset every time he put his kids to work.  We spent the week days with my mom and spent weekends with my dad.  I would get over there and he would have me do laundry, dishes, organize his pantry or whatever household chore there was available.   Ironically, I always had to use the restroom when he asked me to do something :)  I guess you would say I was pretty good at stalling!  Both my mom & dad didn't spoil us as far as having nice clothes or the newest gadgets.  I think I was the last of my friends to get a cell phone.  I remember my friends or teammates having the latest, new basketball shoes or the newest softball cleats.  I told my dad that while he was here, and he apologized.  My response to him, "Dad!! I am so glad you were like that!  I didn't need the newest & latest wardrobe or technology."  I must say, my dad did buy me a car & pay for my college, so he did provide the big essentials.  All this to say, that I am so thankful for my parents.  I know they aren't perfect, but I was taught to excel in everything  and to live simply and that's how I want to train our kids--work hard and you don't need a lot!  This was totally unrelated to Easter, but I got a little side tracked!  Love you mom & dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment